Quick Update

I just wanted to thank you all for your prayers, offers of help and words of encouragement since my last post. We are so blessed to have so many friends and family members that are committed to walking through this trial with us. Things remain about the same with Greg today, although he did have a 2-3 hour window where he felt a tiny bit better. Not great, but at least a small step in the right direction. For the most part, he is still pretty miserable. He continued to have a fever all day. Sometimes Advil will bring it down for an hour or two, but then it goes right back up. He’s still having a lot of rib pain, and his shoulder and lower back are still hurting some. He had a really bad case of chills/shakes this morning that lasted for about 15 minutes. He would get these frequently when in the hospital having a round of biochemo. As soon as they would start, the nurse would immediately give him IV demerol that quickly made the chills go away. Unfortunately, no IV demerol here so he had to just wait it out…not fun.

He also still has terrible sweats. It happens any time he goes to sleep; even if he just dozes off for 10 minutes or so, he wakes up drenched. Doesn’t seem to correlate with the fever or when the fever might be breaking, just every time he falls asleep. This makes for a LONG night with not much sleep. So odd….and inconvenient!

After I posted last evening, the doctor called and talked to Greg about what might be the best next step. At this point, he has decided to add another oral chemo (Mekinist) to the one that Greg is already taking (Dabrafenib). Although, both of these oral chemos are FDA approved, the approval is for use as stand-alone drugs. The FDA has not approved them for use in combination. But, studies have shown that many people experience greater results when the drugs are used together. Thankfully our insurance approved the use of both drugs, and the new one (Mekinist) has been ordered. It has to be special-ordered and should arrive on Tuesday.

Because Greg was feeling a bit better today, he decided to hold off on going to the local oncologist or the ER. We are praying that each day the symptoms that he is experiencing will decrease and his times of feeling better will increase. Thank you all once again for loving and caring for our family…we appreciate each one of you!

Trusting His Plan,
Greg, Sandra, Katie, Emilie and Jacob


4 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. celeste
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 04:08:14

    We continue to pray. You are heavy on our hearts and minds.



  2. kddmyers
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 09:24:14

    I am thankful to hear that Greg had a tiny bit of relief yesterday, and I am hoping that the new drug will bring even greater success in fighting this cancer. This disease seems unrelenting, but God is steadfast in His love and care. Sandra, you and Greg are so faithful, even in times of weakness. May He bless your family with continuous outpourings of His love and mercy. Praying for you.



  3. Elijah Maurer
    Oct 07, 2013 @ 10:11:09

    May God’s will be done! But lets hope his will is to keep him here!! As always God is starting to take up that burden! Love you all!!



  4. Faye
    Oct 07, 2013 @ 11:21:29

    Thinking and praying for your family often. I wish you could be spared the burden and pain of this journey, but I know our God is faithful and loving and has a purpose for all things that he allows us to go through. Continuing to pray that he strengthens your faith so that you can continue to trust him and lean on his grace and mercy and love. Still praying for healing! Much love.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: